My Back Yard : : My View of the Rogue Valley

Monday, September 05, 2005

The Tragedy Continues

I've been unable to post since last week because of the tragedy that continues to unfold in New Orleans. Any of my adventures seem so trivial in comparison to what folks in the path of Katrina are going through. If you would like to help, the Red Cross is a good choice for donations. There's a more comprehensive list of organizations to donate to at Good Morning America and another list at Go Fug Yourself. As I watched the news earlier in the week I was struck by the slow response by outside agencies, read government, to help those stranded in the city. Folks cut off without food, water, or shelter and no one seemed to be coming to their aid.

Today there are stories of neighbor helping neighbor, of the elderly hanging on in their inner city homes, of a wealthy business man in San Diego evacuating survivors to San Diego to restart their lives, and tragically of the killing of gunmen that were shooting at construction workers trying to rebuild some of the levies. Now the word is that New Orleans won't be habitable for 9 months. What would I do if I had lost everything and had no home to live in and no job? I don't think I can honestly answer that question sitting snug at my computer in the very dry & safe Pacific Northwest.

I encourage everyone to do what they can to help.

1 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home